11 February 2015

On Words & Silence

Mahesh Chandra, one of the wise gurus I met in India during Adventure Surrender once explained that "Vikalpa" (fantasies or imagination) is when "an image is conjured up by words without any substance behind them". He went on to say that words and thoughts, which make up imagination, are the "sound of the mind" and that [to find peace] we generally need less verbal communication between us.

As someone who is and has always been very fond of the written word, this receivedly criticism of words initially shook my ego. I am in love with expressing myself poetically, whether in short poems or various letters and messages I present to friends and in return, besides a bunch of flowers, nothing warms my heart and melts my knees more than a creative string of words directed towards me. Learning that words are based on illusions wasn't exactly a thought I was willing to digest easily, yet, in a state of doubting and willing to reconsider all my fundamental beliefs, it drew me so much that I continued to contemplate on it in the back of my mind.

As I spent a lazy warm day today with very little to say and do, simply Being, comfortably on my couch, enjoying stillness, I return to meditate on the beauty of silence and I find the following:

The ultimate truth is verbally silent. It spreads in a dimension that is beyond the verbal human language, it dwells in that ocean of energy that makes us all and connects us all beyond recognition.

When my tongue and fingertips have much to say, whether as an expression of genuine joy or an illustration of suffering, it is my mind trying to create a story, draw a frame, deal with matters "logically" although Being is beyond logic. In a way, it is the mind trying to deal with a situation that it cannot comprehend on its own level. I notice that with the subject of most of the writings I have weaved.

On the other hand, I am most at peace and content when my tongue and fingertips are silent and the mind is still, only present in the current moment and not much beyond it. At that moment, there seems to be very little use for words in such a perfect, complete context.

As ironic as it is that I have just written quite a few dozen words about the need for less words, I retire on the conclusion that when I let my heart ultimately feel and the juices of the Now seep in, words vanish and peace prevails.

Om shanti, shanti, shanti.

No comments: