21 August 2007

On Dressed-Up Hypocrisy

As I was getting dressed today morning I noticed how my clothes were wrinkled, and immediately remembered how I once had to listen to a young lady who spent a whole half an hour talking about how a certain colleague of hers always shows up to work with non-ironed clothes. I mean, how dare he! Sho 3aib!

Yes, how dare he? Because, you see, what you wear determines how much respect you show people and how much respect you are entitled to. What you wear is what you are. Your thoughts about the world, your principles, your genuine concern about humans as humans is secondary. If you’re not wearing the right garments, no one will pay attention to the person inside them. Or worse, you’ll be judged.

Is it really that awful to be judged anyway? I mean, aren’t we all judged in the end of the day? Who exactly are we trying to fool? Our friends? Our colleagues? Our scholars? God? Ourselves?

Hypocrisy is very easy to apply. It ensures fast revenue and brings you virtually closer to what you want. But what are your priorities in the end of the day?

I added flip-flops to my wrinkled short skirt and went off to work. My Blackberry had already started beeping.

9 comments:

Jesso said...

I dress casual for work...sometimes bordering on a bum. I think that is the best part of my job :p I think i'll have issues if i had to dress in suits or semi formal every day. I seriously look at all those ppl who work at almoyyaed or who go for lunch break in seef and feel sorry for them!

flip flops for the win.

sillybahrainigirl said...

LOL! Way to go.. I never bothered with what others thought of what I wore... as long as I was comfortable. You are right.. who cares what people will say.. Some will talk anyway ..

Besides, flip flops rock!

One in a Million said...

Flip-flops? Ok.. you can get away with them.
But non-ironed clothes? that's a bit too much if you ask me!

amal said...

define too much

Anonymous said...

The adjective too much has one meaning:

Meaning #1: being excessive or unreasonable
Synonyms: a bit much, de trop

The adverb too much has 2 meanings:

Meaning #1: more than necessary
Synonym: overmuch


Meaning #2: to an excessive degree
Synonyms: excessively, to a fault

amal said...

excessive, unreasonable, much, overmuch, excessively and fault are all relative..

Ammar456 said...

Yes, relative. It depends; are the clothes wrinkled as in been scrunched up for the past 2 weeks inside a little plastic bag? Or wrinkled as in hung to dry and just not ironed? Or wrinkled as in ironed 2 days ago and left to hand in the closet, but possibly need to be ironed again?

All makes a difference. I've been to work on occassion without ironing; it has a little to do with waking up 10 minutes before the time I actually have to be in the office.

Anonymous said...

sar·casm /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ noun

1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms

Ahmed said...

i heard

المرأ ليس بكيلسانه بل بكي لسانه

nice post :)