I have very basic IT skills. My colleagues at work see me as an IT goddess though. I’m flattered, but it’s not true.
For months, my work pals utilized me as an IT helpdesk, asking questions like this:
- Amal, my Wifi doesn’t work!
- Amal, why can’t I send that 400 GB file through Outlook?
- How can I sum/sort numbers in Excel?
- Can you help me print this picture?
- Can you send me our logo for the millionth time?
- Could you please leave all the real tasks you’re working on and come help us with this silly problem because we’re too lazy to press F1 and look for a solution?
How do you expect to be knowledgeable and rewarded when you don’t gain knowledge through experience? What would happen if you use F1, or use a dictionary or create your own solution, or just fuckinggoogleit?
Are we a lazy nation? Do we lack the intelligence and novelty? Are we really happy where we are, spoon-fed in diapers?
In a nation where those who “teach” and preach are sacred, it shouldn’t come across as shocking. In a country where students are not even introduced to the notion of “thinking outside the box” and tolerance is barely enough to survive the day in semi-peace, what do we expect?